Saturday, November 24, 2018

Shopping Small

According to Wikipedia, Small Business Saturday (which is today) encourages holiday shoppers to patronize brick and mortar businesses that are small and local. Hubby Tony and I decided that today we would do our best to do just that.
  • We started our day at a local church's Fair Trade Market. According to their website, it is "the nation’s largest Fair Trade Market with over 3,000 sq. ft. of merchandise from around the world."  I always enjoy looking at the items, most from developing countries. This year the most unusual thing I saw was a Nativity set made out of aluminum soda cans.
  • Right outside the church door there was a food truck for Bridge Bread, a local nonprofit organization that employs homeless and formerly homeless people to bake bread and pastries. On the way out we bought a loaf of Apple Cinnamon bread to take home with us.
  • Once back home, we called our local Chinese carryout restaurant and ordered some food for lunch. The restaurant has been run by the same family the entire 33 years we've lived in the area.
  • Mid-afternoon we went to our great nephews' birthday party at a Little Gym. While part of a chain, each location is individually owned. On one of the windows they had a flyer listing all of the Small Business specials they were running.
  • Our original plan for the evening was to go to Mass and then eat dinner at yet another local restaurant, but on the way out of church we decided there had already been enough excitement. Instead we came home and ate more repurposed Thanksgiving leftovers. They didn't come from a small business, but at least we knew the cook.
Five years ago today: Mid-Morning Nap Time

9 comments:

  1. Brick and mortar is my preference due to my age I suppose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, although my kids are dragging me into the digital shopping world.

      Delete
  2. It's good to support local small businesses.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope lots of folks supported small businesses. I guess I am one, very small, and nonprofit. I didn't do much of anything this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to this morning's newspaper, at least in our area it sounds like the small businesses were well supported

      Delete
  4. No shopping here over the holiday weekend, but I will be in the stores this next week. Most will be small, locally owned places. However, all of my grocery shopping is done at large stores now, Whole Foods even being a large, national chain. Target, another large chain, is also one of my major supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to think of Whole Foods as a large chain, but I guess after their sale to Amazon they're now a large presence.

      Delete
  5. We like shopping small at our town's annual bazzaar. Close to a hundred vendors and we find treasures.

    ReplyDelete