Saturday, August 4, 2018

Here's To Smiles

Last month I got a copy of Richard Carlson's classic book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff--and it’s all Small Stuff from a Little Free Library. The book was written in 1997. I read it back then, and now I'm enjoying revisiting the book's insights on the meaning of life and putting challenges in perspective.

Every once in a while I leaf through the book and choose one of the 100 short chapters to meditate on. This week I was focusing on Number 25 - "Smile at Strangers, Look into Their Eyes, and Say Hello", and I was able to put it into practice this evening. I was out for a walk and saw what I assumed was a family group of a mother, father, and adult son in an electric wheelchair walking towards me on the opposite side of the street. I could hear them talking, and it sounded like they weren't sure where they were going. In one more block I needed to be on their side of the street anyway, so I crossed early, smiled and greeted them, and asked if they needed some help.

They thanked me but said they were just trying to figure out which house a friend of theirs lived in. Since I couldn't help them I smiled again and went on my way. The little gesture only took ten seconds, but it made me (and I hope them) feel good.

Five years ago today: Getaway

12 comments:

  1. I love that book I should reread it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big believer in smiling at people and greeting them. I smiled at a Target worker the other day and discovered she is one of my former students. We stood and talked for about 10 minutes, catching up on one another's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the moral of your story is you never know what will happen when you take the effort to reach out to someone.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Joanne, I hope you see this here on Kathy's blog as I can't leave a message on your blog. I was saddened to hear of your recent accident and set-back. Praying for your body to recover and your spirit to stay strong.

      Delete
  4. That was one of my late father's favorite sayings "Don't sweat the small stuff." Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete