Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Ventilation Competition

The gym I go to offers group classes in the morning and evening. If there's nothing else on my schedule I'll try to make one of the morning ones. But lately, there have been a lot of things on my schedule and I've been far from regular. This week is pretty empty, and I've made it there yesterday and today; now I'm two for two on my exercising.

Today's class was Zumba. Because the aerobic dancing makes me hot and sweaty, I like to get there early enough to stake out my favorite spot--in the back row right underneath one of the ceiling fans. When I arrived five minutes before the class start time there was only one other person in the room. I claimed my preferred location and waited. Just before the class started two women arrived together and took places to my right. I smiled at them as the music started playing.

There was plenty of space in the room, but as the first song segued into the second I sensed that the woman to my immediate right was getting closer and closer to me. I was torn between being polite and scooting to the left to give her more room or staying put under 'my' fan. After all, I had made sure to get there early for it.

I wrestled with my decision for another song, then decided that today, self-interest would win out and stayed put.Selfish? Maybe. But it was my decision and I don't feel bad about it.

Five years ago today: Convinced By Cats

8 comments:

  1. Not selfish at all. She was trying to intimidate you out of your space with her closeness. Glad you stood your ground. Did she eventually get the message and move on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman moved over a little bit, but not as much as I would have liked. I do know that people have different requirements for personal space, though. Maybe hers was less than mine?

      Delete
  2. I agree. You did the right thing, and you earned it from coming early. Don't give it another thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One does not need to bend to impolite people. That 'rule' was created by rude people to get their way. Same as getting a good seat at the theater/etc and being told to "scoot in" for late arriving people. They can crawl over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way when I'm sitting in a preferred seat and someone wants me to move.

      Delete
  4. well good for you, I hate when it is too crowded and some people are so pushy and disrespectful really.

    ReplyDelete