Thursday, May 24, 2018

Let's Dance

Hubby Tony and I are always looking for new things to do. A while back he asked if I would be interested in taking lessons to improve our social dancing skills. Figuring I would agree, he had researched facilities and found out there was one just a couple of miles from the house which offered group drop in lessons. Wednesday night was Swing Dance, which he thought would be the most fun. It took a couple of weeks for us to get there, but last night we participated in our first Beginners class.

The whole thing was remarkably low key. Tony found out we could dress in anything comfortable, so I chose cropped jeans and a pair of comfortable shoes. When we arrived I checked out the other couples and found everything from dress clothes to business casual clothes to shorts. Several people we talked to said it was their first time, too. Right at 7 pm the instructors walked us down the hall to a large mirrored studio. They made sure the sound system was working correctly then announced it was time to get started.

Years ago Tony and I went to a ballroom that had waltz instructions before a scheduled dance. That night did not go well. There were too many people for the instructor to give everyone individual attention and Tony and I never got the hang of it. This time it was different. The two women leading the class did a great job of breaking down the moves into small sections. They had the men stand on one side of the room and the women on the other so we could see exactly how our feet were supposed to move. We did each section without music and then again with the music. As we danced the teachers moved around the room, giving pointers to each of the couples. The last ten minutes of the class we traded partners. The first man I danced with was new like me, but the second had been dancing for a while.

While we were finishing up people started coming in for the next class, which was Intermediate Swing Dance. They sat on chairs in the corner waiting their turn. I would have liked to see just how much progress a dancer needed to make to move up, but at the end of the class all of the beginners gathered up their things and filed out. As we left one of the instructors gave us a sheet that contained information about the steps we had learned.

Will Tony and I be back? More than likely, when our schedule permits. And after we master Swing, we might branch out to the Fox Trot, Waltz, and Salsa lessons they have on Monday nights.

10 comments:

  1. What fun, and good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I’ve always wanted to be able to dance. The problem is I have big feet. Enormous feet!

    When I get on the dance floor there is no room for anyone else because of my big feet. When I dance I tread on other peoples’ feet. If it’s a slow dance with the lights dimmed right down people trip on my feet and fall all over the place. In line dancing people stand next to each other and mostly move sideways; so there’s no danger of stepping on anyone’s toes. My big feet moved so slowly sideways that other dancers tripped over them as they moved left or right.

    I tried ballet dancing. When I stood on tip-toe my head hit the ceiling and brought down a few tiles.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've tried a lot of different dances but I'm SURE there's the perfect one out there for you if you just keep looking.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Kathy for visiting my Blog. Much appreciated. I have responded to your comment there.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Salsa is hard. I always told my students to look for a man who could dance and they would never be bored. A good dancer can make even the clumsiest look good on the dance floor. I know this because I married a man who can dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed when the instructor demonstrated moves with a new student and made the person look like an experienced dancer.

      Delete
  4. Good for you. I never progressed past the twist, and I figured that out on my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me years to figure out the twist motion, but when someone described it as "drying off your back with a towel" I got the idea.

      Delete
  5. I love to dance but don't know any moves. I dance around the house a lot however, dodging furniture and cat toys.

    ReplyDelete