Thursday, April 5, 2018

"Dog" Detox

Recently I was introduced to the idea of a home version of a foot soak detox. Supporters of the procedure say it pulls the toxins out of your body through your feet. I was skeptical, but my tootsies love a good soak. If I could improve my health at the same time all the better, so in the interest of science I decided to try a detox out.

The soak didn't work for me, but your mileage may vary
The theory behind detoxing is that an alkaline body is crucial to a person’s health. Ingredients in the foot soak are predominantly alkaline. They also contain elements to remove impurities and add necessary trace minerals to your body.

Following the directions I received, I put Epsom salt, baking soda, sea salt, and a few drops of lemongrass essential oil in a large container, then added water as hot as I could stand. After mixing everything together the water was slightly cloudy from the additives. I put my feet in. At the end of 20 minutes I took them out and patted them with a towel to dry.

The detoxification process is supposed to be proven by the discolored water in the bath at the end of the treatment. My foot soak was very relaxing, but when I was done the water was still the same slightly cloudy color.

However, my experiment wasn't a complete waste of time. After the nice soak I gave myself a mini-pedicure, using a loofah to remove the dead skin and giving the cuticles some much-needed attention. As an added bonus, all afternoon a pleasant smell of lemongrass followed me around.

Five years ago today: Starting From Seed

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good way to pamper myself today.

      Delete
  2. Maybe none of your 'parts' are affected?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, I suggest you stop allowing anonymous posting. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* the smell of lemongrass. There is a hotel in Australia where they have lemongrass scented toiletries and when you go out into the hall in the morning the entire floor smells amazing. You go down to breakfast where you catch drifting scents of it from the other people, and when you return upstairs, the elevator door opens and lemongrass greets you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good foot soak anyway

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine how any of those products could produce any drastic diagnosis on the card. Imagine fear mongering Epsom salts.

    ReplyDelete