Sunday, October 22, 2017

Eat Dessert First

As it inches closer to the end of October, the chances of our area getting a nice weather day get slimmer and slimmer. However, yesterday was one of those nice days. After a gloomy start the sun came out for the afternoon and the temperature climbed into the mid 80s Fahrenheit.  Earlier in the week when I had the opportunity to sign up for some work that would take me to a part of the city known for its shops and restaurants I asked Hubby Tony if he would like to go with me and walk around the area afterwards. He quickly agreed.

Yesterday morning we had commitments that took us in opposite directions. After we got home we fed the cats, told them we'd be back later, and got in the car.  The trees aren't showing the greatest fall colors this year, but there were some nice splashes of reds and oranges along the sides of the highway.  When we arrived I parked the car and did my required work, then Tony and I were free to play.

We mosied up and down the streets full of chic boutiques, antique stores, and art galleries, admiring things that were way more than our budget would allow us to spend.  At one of the stores the clerk offered us a magazine that had a list of things to do in the area, indicating there was a coupon in it for a cupcake bakery.  We thanked her and took the magazine, although at the time we weren't remotely hungry.

An hour later, though, things were different, but it was getting awfully close to dinner time. I suspect both Tony and I wanted the sweets, although neither one wanted to be the first to broach the subject. Eventually Tony suggested we just walk by the place and see what they had.  When we got there , of course we looked inside, and then of course we decided to get something.  It's always dessert time somewhere, right?

Lemon with curd inside and chocolate with vanilla icing
The cupcakes were fabulous. We split them in half and shared them equally. After a trip to the bathroom to wash my sticky hands it was time to leave the area. While we backtracked to the hotel, we discussed where the next part of the day would take us.  I would have thought the cupcake would have ruined our appetites.  Amazingly, it was more of an appetizer than a meal-killer.   After kicking around a few ideas Tony and I decided on an Italian restaurant that had been featured in the magazine.

By the time we got to the restaurant, though, I was second guessing our decision.  Italian food is heavy, and not a great diet choice after cupcakes.  However, after looking at the menu Tony proposed a great solution.  We started out with house salads, and split a beautiful antipasto plate for an entree.

Dinner
After we finished the waiter asked if we would like dessert. I thanked him, but told him I'd already taken care of it.

Five years ago today: Not Traditional, But Still Good!

13 comments:

  1. Not a bad meal, if backwards! I would've had the chocolate cupcake myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the chocolate one, but was equally happy with both.

      Delete
  2. well, don't Europeans eat salad at the end of the meal, not the beginning? So kinda sorta you were being nontraditional in your eating like Europeans? That's all I got. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we were eating European. Let's go with that :-)

      Delete
  3. We often eat dessert instead of a whole meal. Last week, when I met The Ladies Who Lunch, I had triple berry cobbler instead of a sandwich or soup like the others ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I grow up I want to be just like you :-)

      Delete
  4. Yummy dishes!. I love to taste desserts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I definitely have a sweet tooth, too.

      Delete
  5. I love sweet things! Dessert instead of dinner works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those cupcakes look so delicious I would like one right now thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd send one through cyberspace if I could figure out how :-)

      Delete