Friday, January 13, 2017

Safe And Snug At Home

For almost a week the weather people have been talking about the winter weather coming our way. Finally, this morning the much-anticipated ice storm (predicted to be the biggest in the last decade) arrived.

In this area people get frantic when faced with any type of snow or ice. Yesterday I was at a hardware store for work and I think I was the only person not walking out with a bag of ice melt. After the hardware store I made the mistake of popping into the grocery for some apples. I had to wait in a long line at the cash register behind shoppers stocking up on milk, bread, and eggs.

Last night the MODOT officials were on the news asking people to stay off the roads unless they had a compelling reason to be out. Early in the evening I heard that the local school district had cancelled classes for today. My only commitment on Fridays takes place in a church that follows the district's lead, so when I went to be I turned my alarm off knowing I had nowhere to be.

When I woke up today the streets were still dry, but just about the time I thought I'd bundle up and take a walk outside before the weather arrived we got a smattering of rain.  The smatters continued the rest of the morning, and the real storm started just after lunch. As predicted, waves of rain came and went. The temperatures hovered slightly under 30 degrees. When I went out to get the mail the driveway was just wet, but the mailbox was covered with a heavy sheet of ice and I had to bang on it to break the seal.

Hubby Tony made the decision to work from home, so I had someone to talk to other than the cats.  Over the course of the day I caught up on my backlog of emails and started putting together an agenda for a meeting I'm leading next weekend.  I did some cooking, a smidge of cleaning, and a lot of relaxing.  It was wonderful!

At dinnertime there was less ice then forecast, but several more waves are supposed to come. They're still predicting 1/4"-1/2" of ice in this area. It sounds like I'm going to have at least one more day of being stuck in the house.  I can't wait.

Five years ago today: Another Year Older...

10 comments:

  1. Cooking, cleaning and relaxing. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very dangerous, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This storm came in tiers. We had the northern wave early in the week. The storm across the southern tier looks worse. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning they seem to have changed the forecast for the better, and we may be able to get out of the house. However, I'm being very cautious about things.

      Delete
  4. I've stayed home Friday and Saturday, which is very nice since it is bitterly cold here. No snow or ice, and the rain has passed for now. It should be a warmer rain next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that your area is getting rain. Warmer weather is always better than cold, in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. We've had a lot more snow than normal this winter and are expecting even more in the coming week. It's been so so so cold that the snow hasn't melted. I feel like it's never going to warm up enough to melt it. And when it finally does, it's going to flood everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES feels like winter is never going to go away sometimes, doesn't it? However, six months from now we'll probably be complaining about the heat.

      Delete