Thursday, April 28, 2016

Oops!

You may remember that for the past few months I've been in charge of maintaining an organization's website.  I've had a little bit of a learning curve, but on the whole I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy it is.  Members of the organization email me things they want added to the site and I take care of it.  I've been able to complete most requests within a day or so. 

Today I received the organization's newsletter in the mail.  I opened it up and started reading. On the first page a representative was reporting on some upcoming business.  Then (when I was least expecting it) in the middle of the third paragraph the representative mentioned me by name, indicating she'd asked me to add some forms to the website.  She had, but that was weeks ago, and just a general question  about if it was possible to do.  There was no follow up on the topic.  I guess in her mind the task was done.

Needless to say, the task had NOT been done, so I immediately hustled over to my computer and tried to find her email that included the forms. There was almost a dozen messages on several different topics (and double that if you included the responses that had gone back and forth).  I felt pressured to get the things uploaded ASAP in case someone was looking for them.   It took almost five minutes to find the correct email and download her attachments.  Then another five minutes to save them to my computer, upload them to the organization website, and double check to make sure I'd linked the correct files before I hit the Publish button.

I hope I was the only one who noticed the error.  I'm still trying to make a good impression in this job.

4 comments:

  1. you are so conscientious Kathy. And you just volunteer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder that maybe I shouldn't take the job quite so seriously :-)

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain as I was once asked, as a favor, no pay, to set up a website for a quasi businessman who gave me absolutely no content, ignored my repeated requests for content and, when I couldn't pull content out of my you-know-what became frustrated with ME. It ended with my telling him to look elsewhere for a webmaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sense the mistake was more on my part than the woman's, but I'll certainly keep an eye on the situation.

      Delete