Sunday, November 22, 2015

'X' Marks The Top (Or Bottom)

We had our first really cold weather last night, so today my first project was to replace the cotton sheets on all the beds with their flannel cousins. (Even though two of the bedrooms are empty now, they'll be full for Christmas.  Might as well do the job while I have the time) 

Once the sheets were on the beds it was time to add the rest of the bedding layers.  Each of the beds has the same polar fleece blanket, which have simple hems on all four sides and no satin binding at the top edge.  The ones on the full-sized beds are sized as Full/Queen, and only about 10" longer than wide.  Without any type of top binding, I always have a problem figuring out which way to put those blankets on.  If I do it the wrong way there's not enough to tuck under at the foot and the sides hang down too long..

Today, though, as I was getting ready to put the first blanket on I had a revelation.  After I figured out which was the long side (by folding one corner of the blanket until it met the opposite edge), I used a Sharpie to draw an 'X' on the top and bottom hem.  The marks won't show underneath the bedspread, but it will make it easy for me to figure out the correct orientation.

X marks the top (or bottom)
Five years ago today: Thanksgiving

8 comments:

  1. I remember my mum doing the same X but with stitches and in a different colour thread for each set of bedding. Blue for single bed size, red for double bed size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea for plain sheets, but ours have such distinctive patterns it's not hard to figure out which is which.

      Delete
  2. Glad you found a way to make it work for you. I love flannel but good flannel. Not that crap they sell from China. Have a great night and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed cuddling under the flannel sheets last night :-)

      Delete
    2. Wonderful. It's clean sheet day tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. Love clean sheet day. Have a groovy night. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. Clean sheet day is ALWAYS good.

      Delete
  3. you're so organized Kathy! I have never used flannel sheets, but I do have a down duvet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be surprised what a difference the flannel material makes during cold weather.

      Delete