Thursday, April 9, 2015

Commonplace

Do you ever feel like you're using the same words over and over?  Perhaps you are.  According to Dictionary.com, the most commonly used words in English, ranked in frequency order, are:
the, of, and, a, to, in, is, you, that, it, he, was, for, on, are, as, with, his, they, I, at, be, this, have, from, or, one, had, by, word, but, not, what, all, were, we, when, your, can, said, there, use, an, each, which, she, do, how, their, if, will, up, there, about, out, many, then, them, these, so, some, her, would, make, like, him, into, time, has, look, two, more, write, go, see, number, no, way, could, people, my, than, first, water, been, call, who, oil, its, now, find, long, down, day, did, get, come, made, may, part.
How many of these do you use regularly?

9 comments:

  1. can't do without the prepositions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man there is not one word up there that I haven't used recently. Not a one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well yeah - I'd definitely say I use most of them - often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, let me see here, today I used the word the 404 times, then I used the word of, 86 times, and I can't quite remember if I use the word is 50 or 60 times. My word count journal is a little fuzzy, and that 5 could be a 6. So hard to be sure. So I'll split the diff and say I used is, 55 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I use many of these words but what I'm most guilty of is using too many superlatives like "fabulous" or "amazing". Also, I suffer from chronic over use of exclamation points. Really I do!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You sound like me. When I go back to edit something I've written I take out half of the superlatives and most of the exclamation points.

      Delete