Sunday, October 5, 2014

Flush Away

Our new master bathroom renovation is coming along.  There are still a couple of things that need to be finished, so it's not ready for the big reveal yet.  However, much of the room is ready to be used...and the most exciting part is the working toilet!  That means no more middle-of-the-night trips out of the bedroom to the bathroom in the hall.

I'm glad to see the old toilet gone.  It was a first-generation low flow model that never really handled solid wastes well.  When the bathroom designer showed us his plan, it included a new dual flush toilet. That surprised me; I've become accustomed to seeing the green-handled flushers in public restrooms, but didn't know they were used in homes.  After thinking about it for a while, Hubby Tony and I agreed it would be a good idea.

In a dual flush system, the low volume flush cycle provides enough water to handle liquid waste, and the additional water in a complete flush helps to remove solid waste.  Our new toilet has a lever with two handles on the left side of the tank.  The longer paddle is green, and you push it for the low volume flush.  If you push the full lever you get a complete flush.

We've only been using this new system since Friday, but I think I'm really going to like it!
.

Kohler.com

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this model, I have one with 2 knobs on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this one because it's arranged just like my old toilet. Plus, I can still set the box of tissues on top.

      Delete
  2. Our kids have a two flush system in their one bathroom. I hate it. It still doesn't do a great job of getting all solids out of the way. I was sure glad to get home to my regular toilets and shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that the system still doesn't take care of solids. I hope ours works better than that!

      Delete
    2. I really has to do with the amount of water that is used (or not). There just isn't enough water to push everything through. I sometimes will flush three or four times there. Don't see where that is saving water. Here, at our house, one flush takes care of it everything. Of course, we also have better water pressure here than they do and we have very hard water (don't know if that matters any or not). It takes a long time for me to wash soap off at their house.

      Delete