Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fitness Afoot

Last winter was the coldest and snowiest in recent memory.  During the worst of it I lost my desire to go to the gym.  Instead, I went to the library to see what they had in  the way of exercise videos and came home with a couple of "walking" DVDs.  My friend and Walk Diva jd swears by them for getting a workout when it's too nasty to be outside, so I thought I'd give the concept a try.

The workouts weren't that exciting, but they did manage to make me acceptably sweaty. When my two week library loan was up the weather hadn't improved, so I renewed them.  Two more weeks went by; it was still cold and nasty, but I was getting tired of the routines on the discs and returned them.  Shortly after that I was ordering from Amazon and needed one more thing in my basket to qualify for free shipping.  I purchased a walking DVD of my own.

I thought that once winter turned to spring I'd be able to forget about the basement exercise stuff.  However, tonight it was rainy and chilly.  I didn't feel like leaving the house so I decided to pop the DVD into the player for a workout.  When I got this DVD it didn't take me long to figure out the simple moves.  Now, instead of listening to the instructor call out the steps I turn on the radio and listen to the music.  I think it's much nicer.

Tonight I spent 30 minutes exercising, then decided to call it done.  Although the DVD is better than doing nothing, I prefer to do my walking outside

Five years ago today: Shop For A Good Cause

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great alternative when the weather is cruddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it takes so much grit to stay in shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the older I get the more grit needed

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! Yes, the walking DVD's can be a real help during inclement weather - and no, they're not the most fun. But, I love having them on hand to keep me motivated!
    jd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several times a year like that - cold, pollen, heat - so I have different DVD's to keep it interesting. I do prefer a beautiful perfect weather day though and you couldn't pay me to workout indoors when it's like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the nice weather. I'll even pass on trips to the gym!

      Delete