Yesterday when I got to work I discovered the Customer Service desk phone would only operate on speakerphone. After a little experimentation I figured out how to answer the calls that came in. It was a pain, though, and I wasn't looking forward to having to do it another shift.
Fortunately I didn't have to. The Boss has Mondays off; when he returned to work today he decided the phone situation was unacceptable and used his authority to take care of the problem. I arrived at noon today just as Maintenance was finishing up. The phone now functions perfectly. In addition, they also installed some new computer wiring we've been waiting for since last month.
Five years ago today: New Thing #313--Don't Slurp!