Monday, November 11, 2013

Soon, But Not Yet

Last week they started fixing up the mall for the holidays. When I arrived at the Customer Service desk for work on Monday the base for the massive two-story-tall tree was being erected. On Tuesday half of the branches had been installed, and when I left on Wednesday the tree was finished (but undecorated). By Thursday afternoon the lights, ornaments, and ribbon garland were complete and the installers had moved on to the Santa stage area.  Today when I showed up the stage was furnished and waiting for Santa to show up on Saturday. 

The rest of the mall is being decked out, too.  Inside the building large pots holding glitzy floral arrangements grace the hallways and all the parking lot entrances are decorated.  Today the plant people were swapping out the fall-colored bromeliads for more festive plants.  Most of the stores have seasonal window displays, filled with overt holiday symbols or glittery party clothes. Or both. 

With all the seasonal activity going on I halfway expected to encounter holiday songs when I entered the mall today.  I was delighted that the speakers were still playing the standard mix of smooth jazz, big band standards, and soft classic rock from the 1970s and 1980s. The music is pretty subtle, and after a while I barely notice it, but occasionally something I haven't heard for a while snaps me to attention.

Like the dulcet sounds of Charlie Rich singing "The Most Beautiful Girl".  Easily the best song of my five-hour shift.



Five years ago today: New Thing #305--Good Manners

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I must say I 'm not quite ready for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While out running errands on Saturday, I noticed the holiday banners and decorations had been put up in most of the shopping centers and the stores in which I shopped. As a matter of fact, I was looking for a Thanksgiving book for my grandchildren but ran into Christmas displays at Barnes & Noble. Many of the decorations do not say Merry Christmas but lots of other holiday slogans. Makes me sad, but I know it's the way the world is turning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really admire Nordstrom's philosophy of waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate for Christmas. It's sad that they're the exception to the rule.

      Delete
  3. Seems like most of the stores around here already have their Christmas stuff up and have had for awhile now. It's too soon for Christmas displays! We haven't even had Thanxgiving yet.

    ReplyDelete