Thursday, October 24, 2013

Disappearing Act

Yesterday a nicely-dressed middle aged woman approached me at the mall Customer Service desk. She asked if she could borrow a wheelchair for her mother, who she'd left sitting on a chair at one of the mall entrances. Per our policy she left an ID, and I gave her the wheelchair.

Several hours later she came back pushing her mother, who was holding several shopping bags on her lap. The woman explained it would be easier if she could wheel her mother directly to the car. However, that would require someone to bring the empty chair back to the desk. I called Security and asked if they had an officer that could help. The dispatcher said they were short staffed, but someone would be there as soon as possible. I relayed the information to the women. The wheelchair borrower asked for her ID back; I handed it to her and watched them make themselves comfortable in a nearby seating area to wait.

I watched them sit and chat for almost 15 minutes, then someone came up to the desk. When I finished answering the person's question I looked up; although no Security officer had come by the women were gone. With the wheelchair and her ID, the only insurance I had that she'd return my property.

My shift was over 45 minutes later, and I spent the time waiting for her to bring the chair back. No luck. I suspected she would ditch the chair by the mall exit, so I called Securiy and asked them to be on the lookout for it.  When I got to work this morning the first thing I did was check the holding area and was thrilled to see all the chairs were there!

Five years ago today: New Thing #287--Welcome To The Club

4 comments:

  1. thank goodness! they must've got tired of waiting, wonder how the chair got back to the holding area and where they left it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they got tired of waiting, too. I bet Security found it and brought it back.

      Delete
  2. Too bad there wasn't someone available immediately to help them. Sure would have saved you some fitful moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I'm not in control of the Security department.

      Delete