Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Slow But Sure

Last spring I dabbled with riding my bike for exercise.  Then summer hit (2012 was the fourth-hottest on record) and the bike stayed in the garage.  When the weather cooled off in the fall Hubby Tony and I were gearing up to walk a 10k race that took place at the end of September.  Fall was followed by winter, which overstayed its welcome; it seemed like spring would never come.  Then we went on vacation.

That's a long-winded way of saying I haven't biked for a long time!

It was time to change that.  For the last few days the weather's been open-the-windows nice; who knows how long that will last?  This morning after breakfast I got my trusty bicycle down from the hook in the garage, strapped my helmet on, and got ready to roll.

Since it's been a while since I've done any biking, today's plan was to stick to traffic-free subdivision streets. That plan worked pretty well, but close to the end of the ride I got distracted and missed a turn that led to a cut-through to another subdivision.  Too late, I realized I'd have to double back to the turn or ride for a half mile on a busy three-lane collector road with an uphill slope to get back home.  I didn't want to double back, so I decided to try the direct route.

My 10-year old bike has equally aged gears which have to think for a while before they make a change.   As I began peddling up the slope I shifted into a lower gear.  The gears growled, then thought, then moved.  Not enough, though.  I tried again.  This time the gears growled, then thought, then did what they were supposed to do, allowing me to make it up the incline without having to get off and walk the bike.

Five years ago today: New Thing #146--Chalk It Up

8 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad after the delay in thinking, they do eventually decide to cooperate! ha. Biking sounds fun...and I agree that the weather has been amazing! We better enjoy it while we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd make it up hills without ANY gears :-)

      It's supposed to be more-normal temperatures here next week.

      Delete
  2. Yae! Good for you, Kathy. I could never ride a bike by my house. The hills are way too steep and I'm too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I've seen pictures of your neighborhood. There's NO WAY I'd be able to do it, either!

      Delete
  3. I wish I could bike again. My sense of balance is gone, and like they say, you don't miss something until it's gone. Have a great biking season;here's hoping for a milder summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I was on a trail I saw a woman riding an adult-sized trike. Wonder if that would work for you?

      I second your request for a mild summer!

      Delete
  4. happy biking, it's a good thing! Be safe on the roads though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pretty conservative biker. Better safe than sorry ;-)

      Delete