Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ashen

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. People who practice the Catholic religion go to Mass and receive ashes on their forehead as a sign of repentance.  Last year I pondered whether I should leave the black cross on my forehead or wash it off when I went to work.  In the end I left it, and I saw no reason not to do the same thing today.

This morning the sun was shining and I decided to walk to church.  A half-hour before the start of 8:30 Mass I changed my pants and put on my tennis shoes. According to the forecast the day was going to warm up nicely, so instead of my winter coat I grabbed a heavy jacket.  Because the top of the jacket is loose-fitting, I also wrapped a long silk scarf around my neck to keep the breeze out.  I was glad I did; there was still a brisk nip in the air.  However, except for my fingers and ears I was OK.

The walk took 20 minutes, and I made a stop by the bathroom before I found a seat, but I still had a few minutes to meditate before the opening hymn.  This was an all-school mass, so all the students from the parish elementary school were there.  The service ran a bit long, so I had to hustle on the way home.  It was warmer now, and at the halfway point I unbuttoned my jacket.  A couple of minutes later I loosened the scarf around my neck.  As I was turning into my subdivision, I actually felt a tiny bit of perspiration forming on my forehead. I used my hand to wipe it off, and when I saw my black fingers I realized I'd wiped the ashes off, too.

When I got home I looked at myself in the mirror.  There was an inch-wide black streak that extended completely across my forehead.  I went ahead and wiped the rest off.  We'll see what next year brings.



Five years ago today: New Thing #33--Fueled by Ramen

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know what the ashes were for, but I remember seeing teachers walk into school with the ashes on their foreheads when I was teaching. It was so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so devout Kathy, I even had to be reminded it was Pancake Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Louis has a large Mardi Gras celebration. The big parade is on Saturday, which means Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday aren't far behind!

    ReplyDelete