Tuesday, April 24, 2012

100 Foods To Eat Before You Die

There's a cute Facebook quiz making the rounds called 100 Foods To Eat Before You Die. According to the author, most people have tried about 20 of the 100 items.  I find that amazing; I've eaten almost three fourths of them.

I've struck through the ones that I can cross off my culinary bucket list.   How about you?  Where do you stand?

Abalone
Absinthe
Alligator
Baba Ghanoush
Bagel and lox
Baklava
Barbecue ribs
Bellini
Bird’s Nest Soup
Biscuits and gravy
Black Pudding (made from cooked blood)
Black Truffle
Borscht (Ukrainian soup made from beetroot)
Calamari
Carp
Caviar
Cheese fondue
Chicken and waffles
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chile Relleno
Chitterlings/Chitlins
Churros
Clam Chowder
Cognac
Crabcake
Crickets
Currywurst
Dandelion wine
Dulce de leche
Durian (southeast Asian fruit notorious for its ordor)
Eel
Eggs benedict
Fish Tacos
Foie Gras
Fresh Spring Rolls
Fried Catfish
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Plaintain
Frito Pie
Frog’s Legs
Fugu (pufferfish)
Funnel Cake
Gazpacho
Goat
Goat’s milk
Goulash
Gumbo
Haggis
Head Cheese
Heirloom Tomatoes
Honeycomb
Hostess Fruit Pie
Huevos Rancheros
Jerk Chicken
Kangaroo
Key Lime Pie
Kobe Beef
Lassi (Indian yogurt drink)
Lobster
Mimosa
Moon Pie
Morel Mushrooms
Nettle Tea
Octopus
Oxtail Soup
Paella
Paneer (a cheese)
Pastrami on Rye
Pavlova (meringue cake)
Phaal (curry dish)
Philly Cheesesteak
Pho
Pineapple and cottage cheese
Pistachio Ice Cream
Po’ boy
Pocky
Polenta
Prickly Pear
Rabbit Stew
Raw Oysters
Root Beer Float
S’mores
Sauerkraut
Sea Urchin
Shark
Snail
Snake
Soft Shell Crab
Som Tam (spicy salad made from shredded unripened papaya)
Spaetzle (German dumpling or noodle)
Spam
Squirrel
Steak Tartare
Sweet Potato Fries
Sweetbreads
Tom Yum
Umeboshi (pickled ume fruits common in Japan, similar to a plum)
Venison
Wasabi Peas
Zucchini Flowers

6 comments:

  1. Let's see... of what you have not had, I've tried carp (meh), eel (in sushi), frog legs (like them), haggis (love it - BTW The Scottish Arms serves it...), honeycomb (don't see what the fuss is about), octopus, paneer (know how to make it too), pocky, prickly pear (Senor Pique's has this), rabbit stew, and tom yum.

    You have had that I haven't - bellini, fish tacos, foie gras, and phaal.

    I can't drink alcohol, won't eat bugs, don't like rye bread or pistashios and if Andrew Zimmerman says durian is too nasty for him to eat... I ain't touching it!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you Kathy! I'll have a closer look at these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got 47/100....and I thought I was adventurous! You've had alligator? I'll probably never try crickets, kangaroo, squirrel. Will think about frogs legs and definitely want to try sea urchin, I saw that on a gourmet food show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had very few of these foods and will probably never eat most of them. That's ok with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd skip the fugu! Just the idea of possibly dying from improperly prepareed fugu scares me.

    ReplyDelete