Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Powers Of Observation

There are several routes I can take to get to work, but I usually end up taking the fastest one. Since I'm always going the same way, it's easy to get into a rut.  Often I do zone out; I start thinking about other things and I'm surprised when  I turn into the parking lot.

Today was different, though.  Something about the brisk fall air and the perfectly blue sky without a hint of a cloud lent itself to being in the moment.  I decided to really notice what was going on:
  •  I saw a tree that had lost the leaves at the top, with a huge bird of prey perched on the pinnacle.
  • I drove by a plain tract house with a beautiful new wood door with a leaded glass insert.
  • When Neil Young's song "Harvest Moon" came on the radio I turned the volume up and rolled down the windows.  What a GREAT way to start the day!
  • I passed by the house on Clayton Road that has a totem pole in front of it.  (This isn't a new observation, but it makes me smile every time I remember to notice it).
  • Just before I pulled into the parking lot, there was a huge oak tree just starting to show some color.

2 comments:

  1. Fall is a beautiful time of the year...and it truly does get our attention. Sounds like a perfect day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to start a day....smiles.

    ReplyDelete