Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Can It Get Any Better Than This?

The temperature was 72 degrees, almost 20 degrees higher than average. Although the astrological clock would disagree, today felt like the first day of spring. When I got home from work, I put on a t shirt and dug my flip flops out of the back of the closet.

I brought my laptop outside to the shady deck. Thankfully the Internet followed me, because I had a full day's worth of emails and blogs to read. It was wonderful to surf from site to site while a light breeze blew through the tree next to the deck. Because of our lot's layout, the deck is in effect on the second story; the tree branches are right next to the rail, so it feels a bit like being in a forest.

Nature surrounded me. I heard dozens of birds chirping in the background. A pair of noisy squirrels caught my attention as they chased each other on the ground. Several robins were poking around in the newly-unfrozen soil. I heard a noise from the side of the house. When I looked over I saw a chipmunk sitting on it's haunches on top of the retaining wall. A female cardinal alighted on the bird feeder just a few yards away from me. We were almost at eye level. Unfortunately, when I moved she flew away.

All too soon my other obligations called, so I turned off the laptop, put it into it's sleeve, and went inside.

4 comments:

  1. Nope...that'a as good as it gets! ha....which is pretty darn good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds heavenly :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! that sounds lovely. Glad that you have had some good weather.....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah life. I love Spring, not as much as the Fall, but it is incredible. One thing that is of interest, more people consider suicide in spring than any other season. Hey, I'm a horror writer. So sue me.

    ReplyDelete